Don’t be intimidated! Make your family’s own signature pickle mix in minutes.
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 large cucumbers sliced into rounds or spears
- 5 small sweet peppers sliced into rings
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 regular or 4 baby carrots sliced in rounds or sticks
- ½ cup of small chunks of cauliflower florets
- ½ of a thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup cold water
- 2-3 tablespoons pickling salt (in the grocery store’s canning section) or kosher salt
- 2-3 whole or sliced garlic cloves
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
Prep your jars by placing the “seasoning mix” in the bottom of a mason jar with a well-fitted lid. Next, add the vegetables up to 1 inch below your container’s top. The secret to the “crunch” for this overnight pickle recipe comes next. In another container, ensure you use cold water to make the “pickle juice,” stirring until the salt is completely dissolved. Pour the “pickle juice” into the containers to ½ from the top so the vegetables are totally covered. Finally, add the “finishing mix.” Shake everything to ensure the contents are well blended. Your pickles will be done within 24 hours but can sit for several days to deepen the flavor. This will stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to 2 months. This recipe scales well to multiple containers.