A healthier and lighter alfredo option
Cauliflower Alfredo Base
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into chunks
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 diced medium-sized shallot
- Dash of salt and pepper
Cauliflower Alfredo Cheese
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese thinly grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 dozen medium shrimp (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 handful of fresh chopped basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon zest
- 1 box of pasta of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take your box of pasta and cook per the directions on the box. Set a timer to ensure the noodles don’t get overcooked; when done, drain and set aside.
- Next, take your shrimp and place in a steamer basket and cook until they turn pink after a few minutes; turn off the heat and set aside.
- Take all the ingredients for your cauliflower alfredo base and place into a medium-sized stock pot. Place the pot on the stove on medium heat and cover; allow the base mixture to become “fork tender.”
- When “fork tender,” take the base, put it in a blender, and purée.
- Return the puréed mixture back to the stock pot over low heat.
- Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- When done, pour the alfredo mixture over the noodles and add in your shrimp.
- Take your fresh basil and sprinkle it on top.
- Add lemon zest and extra parmesan cheese to taste!
You can feel comfortable swapping out the shrimp for chicken or even extra vegetables without any additional modifications.